One of the biggest complaints about ITT is the cost. You are not hitting Harvard level costs per credit, but you are way above a normal college. And let’s be honest, Harvard charges what they do because they are Harvard.  

A high price tag is not the real issue though, it’s the value of the education you get for that price. 

OMG a Civic? HAHAH
If someone told you they spent $80,000 on their car, what kind of car would you expect them to drive?  A Porsche, M5 BMW, Tesla Roadster? All could be expected.  But what if you went outside to see the car and it was Honda Civic? You would laugh in their face.

That’s ITT.

When you pay around $1800 per course, you expect a lot.  People with real world experience who are good at teaching, large labs that can accommodate the number of students enrolled, enough books for everyone.  Pretty basic school stuff.  But ITT fails at all three of these.  The vast majority of ITT’s staff show up for a paycheck and repeat the same lecture regardless of class.  The labs are also repeated regardless of class and frequently don’t work due to the poor lab design, and I’ve lost count of how many times the book store didn’t have enough books. 

Cost Per Credit*
  •  Harvard - $876
  •  ITT - $450
  •  Local State College - $197
  •   Local Community College - $26
    *Subject to change at any time and may differ based on course.
I have a friend who went to city college for free due to low income.  Do you know what kind of education you get for free at a city college compared to $450 per credit?  About the same.  Discussing classes and the general experience with my friend, my extremely expensive school and his free to the poor school were nearly identical, except for one big thing. 

His school gave him certifications as part of his classes. Certifications are of course extremely important to an IT student, and ITT offers nothing on them.  

Keep up the good work ITT.  

Categories:

5 Responses so far.

  1. What you have to take into consideration is that Harvard uses semester credit hours and ITT uses quarter credit hours so ITT is actually more expensive than Harvard.

  2. Josh says:

    That's actually pretty sad, I didn't even think to check the break down of credit quarters.

  3. By the way, great site. I graduated from ITT-Canton in 2010 with a "degree" in CNS and I have seen every ridiculous thing you've talked about on this site. ITT really is as bad as you say it is and I do everything I can to steer people away from ITT. I tell people who want to get into IT to just go study for and earn the A+ cert because that cert alone will at least get you an entry-level placement in IT. The ITT degree with no certs will get you a job on a phone bank working with people they hired off of the street.

  4. Josh says:

    Yeah, I consider it one of the larger mistakes in my life. Complete waste of money I could be putting towards a house or 401k.

    Were you offered any jobs via ITT? I still don't have a single friend who got one via ITT's career center. My school also had a ton of military guys using their GI bill to pay for school. It's borderline criminal that they kept passing these guys and collected the checks.

  5. Not only did I not get a job through the career center I actually lost one. The career center kept calling me after I graduated and asking me about my prospects...I made the mistake of telling them about one and they flooded that place with their current students and I didn't get the job. After that I stopped all communication with ITT.

Leave a Reply